Winter Solstice Altar




     Today, December 21st, we honor the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, which heralds the return of the sun. This day has been celebrated in many cultures throughout history, but was largely forgotten as the celebration of Christmas grew more popular. Growing up, I never heard anything about the solstice, but judging by the numerous Facebook posts about the winter solstice today, I believe it has regained popularity in the world. 

    This is the first time I have added a winter solstice altar to my Christmas decor. Instead of red, I'm displaying a yellow bird and lemons to honor the rebirth of the sun. Of course the candle flames are another reminder of the sunlight we will celebrate as it increases every day after today. 

    I will close with one of the odes to the solstice I found on Facebook today:

May you find peace in the promise of the solstice night,
that each day forward is blessed with more light.
That the cycle of nature, unbroken and true,
brings faith to your soul and wellbeing to you.
Rejoice in the darkness, in the silence find rest,
and may the days that follow be abundantly blessed ..
~ Unknown ~

Comments

Popular Posts

Gift from the Sun

Blessings from the Sea

Abundance and Gratefulness

Advent Wreath

Ode to Autumn

Day of the Dead Altar